Wednesday, April 29, 2015

More than enough, too ...


“So they did eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken meat that was left seven baskets.  And they that had eaten were about four thousand”.  Mark 8:8-9 KJV

More than enough, too…

There are times (like today and maybe even yesterday) that I am filled to the brim with wonder. I am not particularly worried about anything. Well maybe I am concerned about this thing they call aging which seems to be producing these body ailments and more and more grey hairs that also seem to be blooming on my cranium overnight.  Ok, I am wondering.

I mean it really is ok getting to be 65.  Really it is. I am just in a state of wonder. When did this happen? I look back at events in my life and they all seem like they took place just yesterday. Has it really been six years since I moved here to the bay? Has it really been six years since I last had a full-time job?  I mean after all that is a tremendous blessing and proof that God is a “keeping” kind of force in my life.

Remembering that day that I sat in this same place and declared that for God I will live and for God I will die. I resolved to live and walk by faith – trusting in His holy word that says the He would supply all of my needs. (It’s funny how God will bring you to a place of absolute dependence upon Him - I'm just sayin'). If I told you how much money I really live on every month you would probably say that’s impossible. But here I am and here it is. I have yet to be hungry. I am sheltered and safe and it is still all about Jesus. This, too, makes me wonder. He is more than enough.

The bible says in Psalm 37:5 “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”  Not that I am so righteous or even all that holy. But the Word of the Lord also says that if we would have the faith the size of a grain of a mustard seed what we see as impossible becomes possible.  That mountain with all of its clefts and jagged edges and slippery places becomes a small mole hill that is easily traversed because of God’s grace.  We don’t even have to have huge amounts of this thing called faith and God, with his ever abounding grace, comes through time after time after time. Isn't it a wonder?

Let’s not get it twisted. I don’t have a whole lot and if I allow what I do have to be measured against what  this world says is symbolic of success, the average Joe would say I have nothing. What you see as nothing is more than enough for me and that, my dear, fills me with wonder. 

As I meditate on the Word, I often look at the familiar stories and wonder why exactly are they written in the bible. What are we to really learn from that particular story?  There have been many interpretations of the Word of God, as we know. Some of these interpretations have totally missed the mark and have been slanted it to fit a person's particular earthly agenda. But when you really study the word and ask God to reveal the truth of why and how come that story is being told, the revelation is often amazing. God in His infinite love and wisdom reveals so much to us through these stories. God's Word does indeed breathe and it is alive. Though written numerous years ago it still reveals and instructs as though it were written just yesterday. Going back to the basics, I sometimes read the stories that we have heard time and time again and low and behold - fresh manna! Oh, how this fills me with wonder!


When is the last time you thought about the seven loaves of bread and a few fish that fed four thousand? Jesus had all of the people to sit down and wait for the miracle.  The bible didn’t say anything about the people complaining in the wait. Four thousand people sat down in the grass in groups and waited with great expectation to receive. And receive they did. Jesus blessed those few small fish and those seven loaves of bread and the increase came forth “pressed down, shaken together, running over.”  Everybody received more than enough. So it is with me and you and all of us. To this day I have no idea how it is that He is keeping me and to be honest I don’t need to know. He keeps me and this knowledge is more than enough, too.


#soulwriter 
Books by Debi Mason:
What I Thought Was So Just Ain't - Aging through God's Grace
Amazon.com (paperback)
Amazon.com (Kindle edition)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (NOOK edition)
ISBN-13: 978-0692236475
Release: June, 2014

Arizona Clay: A journey of self-discovery
Amazon.com (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
ISBN-13: 9781606964880
Release: June, 2009
Follow me on Twitter:  @DebiOak



No comments:

Post a Comment