Friday, October 31, 2014

When our name is called in glory, tell them we'll be there


Happy Birthday, Ethel Waters!

"I guess singing is the traditional outlet for the colored people. The very thing that is paramount in my mind I can find expression for in just humming a song. But, of course, there is solid prayer for other things in my mind. Oh, I can get angry and curse a little (of course, the Lord look the other way). I don't take the Lord's name in vain, don't get that idea. But I have a vocabulary without the Lord's name that could raise the roof. You understand what I'm saying, sugar?" -- Ethel Waters, October 31, 1896 - September 1, 1977

We've been talking a lot lately about going back to the basics of our faith walk and the basic foundation of our praise. Personally, I can't move forward without acknowledging those that stood flatfooted in the faith long before this lost soul was found.

In the forefront of my memory are women like my grandmother, Susy Oby who kept the faith in spite of the hardships of the Great Depression, racism and poverty. My mother, who kept us shielded as best she could from the ravages of racism and segregation before the civil rights movement in the late fifties and early sixties when we black folks finally discovered that we were not only descendants from slaves but also descended from the kings and queens of motherland, Africa.

Then there are the mighty oaks like Ethel Waters, Fannie Lou Hammer, Barbara Jordan and countless, others.  The thing that strings all of these women of a darker hue together is their faith in the God of their creation.  Not one of them was ever ashamed to declare their faith in front of thousands from every walk of life, every culture and every nation across the globe.  This is a basic tenant of our christian belief -- the Great Commission.  The bible says that we are to share the gospel to all nations. This they did and are remembered and revered to this day because of. Whatever platform that was AVAILABLE TO THEM whether pulpit, arena stage or soapbox, they all shared the good news of the Word of God.

Most of us today do not really know Ethel Waters aside from being the fast talking, foot stomping jazz singer, chocolate beauty of the twenties and thirties or the "last mama on the couch" refugee for which she garnered an Academy Award nomination.  Most folks don't know that she had a reputation for being hard to get along with because she never learned to compromise her identity as a strong and mighty bold woman of God.  No one really understood that she was the child born from the rape of her twelve year old mother or that she never really had a home or that she "raised myself", as she puts it.  In spite of it all, Ethel Waters never wavered in her faith.

Whether it be in movies, on television or on the public stage she embodied what it means to be ready in season and out of season. through her numerable requests for public appearances, large or small, she did her best to meet her obligations and share that thing that she knew best, the name of the Lord is a strong tower. 

She traveled with the Billy Graham Crusade for many years up until her death in 1977. Here is a clip of a Crusade appearance 2 years before her death.
   


Dear Lord:  I pray with conviction that I, too, will get up every morning ready and able to do thy will. I pray that you will put people in my path that I can witness to and share the gospel with as so many of the women that went before me.  All I ask, dear Lord, is that you order my steps to walk only in the direction that you want me to go, bridle my tongue to speak the words that you want me to speak; words of encouragement and comfort to those in need whether poor or rich, the influential or the lesser known.  Let me, Lord, live up to the legacy of those that have gone before and thereby letting me leave a lasting legacy to those that come after.  In Jesus name I pray.  Amen.

#gracefulaging #soulwriter #whatithoughtwassojustaint

No comments:

Post a Comment