Thursday, December 17, 2015

Blessed to be a blessing ...

I am fully aware that we can’t do anything to fix the problem of homelessness in the bay area. Yet I am also moved to an awareness that says we can ignore that feeling of helplessness and do something, anything for people that are less fortunate. 

We come in contact with the homeless each and every day.  Something that I read said that many would greatly appreciate it if someone would just acknowledge their existence.  One homeless gentleman said that he would rather someone look them in the eye and say no to his request for money or food or whatever than to do what we all are guilty of – we treat that homeless man or that homeless woman is if they were invisible.

My heart grieves when I hear a saint of the Most High God say that most of the homeless are drunks or drug addicts or that they choose to be homeless. Some, maybe, but not all. I wish I could say that this thinking was not true of us on this side but I just heard it and I am sure that Jesus heard it, too. Yes, there are those with mental issues but I have to think that their condition must be exacerbated upon the realization that they have no place to go but the gutter, a trash bin or a shelter where they are disrespected and treated as so much of nothing.  Think about it. What would this condition do to a mind that is already fragile and perhaps broken?  It is time for us to change the way we look at the world. If the Lord was not on my side, where would I be?  Where would you be?

So, instead of just thinking about the idea and talking about it, I am doing it. I following my heart in obedience and making  the determination that this Christmas is going to be different for me.  I don’t have much but what I do have is a blessing from God.  So, without a doubt, God has blessed me so that I can be a blessing to someone else. This is going to be a very merry Christmas. Amen.

Blessing Bags
Gallon size Ziplock bags
Items that could go into in the bags:
chap stick
packages of tissues
toothbrush and toothpaste
comb
soap
trail mix
granola bars
crackers
pack of gum
band aids
mouthwash
$2 cash (could be used to make a phone call, or purchase a food item)
hand wipes

you could also put in a warm pair of socks, and maybe a Starbucks gift card


Stories From Granny's Porch, 2016





#oakager   #soulwriter 
Books by Debi Mason:
What I Thought Was So Just Ain't - Aging through God's Grace
Amazon.com (paperback)
Amazon.com (Kindle edition)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (NOOK edition)
ISBN-13: 978-0692236475
Release: June, 2014

Arizona Clay: A journey of self-discovery
Amazon.com (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
ISBN-13: 9781606964880
Release: June, 2009
Follow me on Twitter:  @DebiOak

No comments:

Post a Comment