Wednesday, June 10, 2015

You Gotta Have Faith, Child. --- a story

It was Aunt Eunice and my grandmother who taught me how to grow and appreciate green living things.  Along with beautiful roses they both grew beans and squash and even corn. The stalks of corn seemed to reach as high as the sky as though they were reaching up to heaven to thank God for the sun and the rain. 

Aunt Eunice was known to tell her corn stalks that it was their duty to grow tall and sweet. From the time I was itty-bitty to the time I was grown, if it wasn’t my grandmother it was Aunt Eunice telling me, “Take care of God’s green earth and it will take care of you.”  As I grew older I began to appreciate all of the hard work those two strong black women put into coaxing something out of that hard Arizona clay.  They were right, too.  We never were hungry even though we were very poor. 

Aunt Eunice had a whole lot of faith that the seeds she would plant in that dry Arizona desert would grow into tall stalks of sweet corn or beans or squash that would feed her family.  Her labor of faith brought to me a deep understanding of how to maneuver through life’s difficulties. 

She told me that as we are faced with hard Arizona clay kind of problems, we have to turn on the faucet and pour out some of that sweet well water called faith. That Aunt Eunice  deep, abiding kind of faith. Then we have to carry that heavy bucket over to that problem, especially in the heat of the day, and drown it; talk to it like Aunt Eunice talked to that corn. Her advice was to tell that problem that you will not be overcome, overwhelmed or defeated by it because the Lord was on your side. Then she would say with joyous laughter, "Stand back, child, and give God some room to do His work. You just give Him thanks and watch how He will come through each and every time. Amen?" 

That was my Aunt Eunice and this is what she taught me.


#soulwriter 
Books by Debi Mason:
What I Thought Was So Just Ain't - Aging through God's Grace
Amazon.com (paperback)
Amazon.com (Kindle edition)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (NOOK edition)
ISBN-13: 978-0692236475
Release: June, 2014

Arizona Clay: A journey of self-discovery
Amazon.com (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
ISBN-13: 9781606964880
Release: June, 2009
Follow me on Twitter:  @DebiOak

(c) 2011    Revised 2015
All postings to this blog are the exclusive property of the author and may not be used, copied or transmitted without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment