Saturday, December 27, 2014

Kujichagulia: Self-determination!



Habari gani?  Kujichagulia (Self-Determination)!


Heri za Kwanzaa! Living the Nguzo Saba: The Seven Principals - Kujichagulia (KOO-GEE-CHA-GOO-LEE-YAH) (Self-Determination) requires that we define our common interests and make decisions that are in the best interest of our family and community.

As I live my life out in this, the third chapter, I recognize that I have the ability to make the choices that are right for me. No longer subject to the opinions and ideas of others, the decisions I make are based upon my own preferences, my own interests. 

These preferences and interests include a determination to be all that I can be through the grace of God and live as an example to those in need of the message of the gospel.  I am determined to forge my own path, to define, name and speak for myself through my creativity and I pledge to encourage others to do the same.
   
In these troubled times, it is necessary that we, as the darker hue, define ourselves and tell our stories as only we can tell them. With determination, I march forward to support the writers, playwrights, directors, producers, actors, technicians, musicians, dancers and visual artists that open the windows upon the black experience in this day and age.  With love I will do what I can to encourage them and I will celebrate their endeavors.

It is time for us to stop being victims of our circumstances but to take charge economically, politically, educationally and spiritually. As we look at ourselves collectively, some have reached this pinnacle of achievement.  However, there are others that have not. If some are lacking than we all are lacking. I will encourage myself to vote when I can, speak openly of our struggles and our positive accomplishments when I can.  I will lead by example as often as possible and use the platform that I have been graced with – I will write and, yes, encourage others to do the same.

Self-Determination does indeed begin with me.  My sense of identity was birthed from my triumph over social obstacles,  'can’t do' spirits, those that love me and others that just don’t get me.  At the end of the day I have given myself permission to be a bold woman of God. I am authentic and, thank God, I have learned the power of self-acceptance.

“Our liberation begins when the truth of our own experiences is admitted to ourselves.” 
Alice Walker, writer
#soulwriter #whatithoughtwassojustaint  #gracefulaging


Books by Debi Mason:

What I Thought Was So Just Ain't - Aging through God's Grace
Amazon.com (paperback)
Amazon.com (Kindle edition)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (NOOK edition)
ISBN-13: 978-0692236475
Release: June, 2014

Arizona Clay: A journey of self-discovery
Amazon.com (paperback)
Barnes & Noble (paperback)
ISBN-13: 9781606964880
Release: June, 2009

Follow me on Twitter:  @DebiOak

No comments:

Post a Comment